Recently, one of my local grocery stores had a special that I couldn’t pass up. Boneless skinless chicken breasts in 4 pound bags for 99 cents per pound. After assessing my meager freezer space available, I decided I could get 2 bags. This is what I did with the 8 pounds of chicken breasts (plus a few from another bag in my freezer):
This week’s OAMC menu: Chicken Breasts
It’s broken down into two types of chicken recipes: Dump Recipes and Shredded Chicken. All of the shredded chicken recipes will use the Taco Meat as a base. Okay, here we go!
On the menu:
- Chicken in Zesty Peanut Sauce
- Black Bean Salsa Chicken – our favorite frugal recipe!
- Pepper Lime Chicken – Summer is coming and grilling would be nice!
- Chicken Taco Meat
- Chicken and Cheese Flautas – make a triple batch
- Easy Chicken Egg Rolls
- Cubano Chicken Rice Bowls
You will need:
- 5 large and a few small freezer bags and marker to label them
- 4 rigid containers capable of holding 2 cups
- 2 large cookie sheets
- 2 large bowls
- 1 large skillet
- 1 large pot (for frying the egg rolls)
- a deep fryer would be helpful if you have one and want to fry your egg rolls
Before the big day, either buy or make:
Then make sure your counters are clean, your dishes and freezers are ready, and your groceries bought. Start the Taco Meat in your crockpot overnight, but only if you know you can turn it off in less than 8 hours (either because you don’t sleep that much or you have a fancy crockpot).
Big Cooking Day:
- Turn off the Taco Meat and shred using two forks. This should not be difficult. 🙂 Go ahead and make sure it gets well stirred, so that all of the meat is well seasoned (it will soak up some of the cooking liquid as it cools).
- Start cooking 4 cups of rice for the Rice Bowls.
- Assemble Chicken in Zesty Peanut Sauce, Black Bean Salsa Chicken, and Pepper Lime Chicken. Make sure bags are labeled (I do it before I fill them with recipe name and date they go in the freezer), and make sure to smoosh as much air out as possible. Make the bags as flat as possible and put in the freezer.
- In each of your large bowls, place 2 cups of cooked chicken.
- The rice should be finished by now, so spoon one cup of rice in each of your 4 small rigid freezer containers. On top, add 1/2 c. beans and 2 T. cooked chicken. Close containers, label and allow to cool before sticking in the freezer.
- In one of the large bowls, add the rest of the ingredients for Chicken and Cheese Flautas. Begin assembling, and then frying in the skillet. Once each flauta is cooked, place on a baking sheet to cool. After all 18 are fried and cooled, place baking sheet in freezer to flash freeze.
- Wipe the skillet and begin cooking filing for Easy Chicken Egg Rolls (as per the recipe). Once the Egg Rolls are fried (or baked if you would rather bake them), place on a cookie sheet, cool and flash freeze.
- Label freezer bags for flautas and egg rolls, and place these inside once they have been in the freezer at least 3 hours.