Today’s caveat: there is some meat going on in today’s post, but it is nothing like the hot dog discussion. However, today we are not keeping kosher! 🙂
Happy Memorial Day to everyone is the US! While the above pic is not what we are eating today, it would be a great last minute Memorial Day Cookout menu. If this morning you are looking out at a blue summery sky, and thinking, “Yeah, I think I will grill after all” or “If I can just find something easy and healthy to grill”, then this is the menu for you!
Grilled Ham and Pineapple
serves 4, 20 minutes
1 pound ham steak
1 T. mustard
1 T. apricot preserves
1 large pineapple
1. Heat grill to medium high heat. Mix together mustard and preserves. Peel pineapple, and cut 4 wedges (slabs) around the inedible core (see pic for what I mean by slab).
2. Put pineapple and ham on grill. Grill ham about 4-6 minutes. Flip ham. Brush with half of the sauce mixture and grill another 4-6 minutes. Flip ham (carefully!). Brush with other half and grill another 2 minutes. Remove ham and pineapple from grill and portion into servings.
Sorta Caesar Salad
4 servings, 10 minutes
If you have one person manning the grill and another inside, make this at the same time as the grilled stuff. Otherwise, you can make this ahead of time, and dress just before serving.
1 clove garlic
1 t. salt
1/2 c. olive oil
2 lemons, juiced
1 T. dijon mustard
2 T. water
1 head Romaine lettuce
1/2 c. parmesan (shredded, not powder – do NOT get the stuff in the green can!)
1 c. croutons (homemade is yummy)
1. Smash garlic on your cutting board and smear with salt and a little of the olive oil. Continue smashing and smearing until you have a garlic paste. Scrape off your cutting board and put into your salad bowl. Add the rest of the oil, lemon juice, water, and mustard and whisk together.
2. Shred lettuce. Add lettuce, cheese, and croutons to salad bowl and toss to coat with dressing.
Grilled Peaches with Ice Cream
serves 4, 10 minutes
You can substitute vanilla or honey flavored thickened yogurt.
4 peaches, cut in half and pitted
2 c. vanilla ice cream
1. Heat grill to medium high heat. Place peaches cut side down on an oiled grill grate. Grill until thoroughly heated through, and pretty with grill marks.
2. Place 2 peach halves in each of 4 bowls, and top with 1/2 c. ice cream.